Growing in the Art of Magic MP3 Library
- Long out of print
- Now available in convenient MP3 format
Long out of print, these audio segments are now available in MP3 format.
- Eugene explains the nature and purpose of the audio series.
- The question of growth.
- As magicians, when are we growing in our art of magic?
- Growing and Listening.
- Growing and asking the right questions.
- Growing and caring.
The Way of the Magician (16:03)
- Tenkai: "Magic is not tricks; it is a way."
- The easy way and the difficult way.
- Are there unimportant moments in a performance or in life?
- Focusing our attention.
- The importance of detail.
- Why is timing a problem for so many?
Managing People Close-Up (24:16)
- The question most often asked at Eugene's seminars: How can we best deal with hecklers during performances?
- The heckler as a problem in relationship.
- The traditional approach and its problems.
- The spectator's desire for anonymity or attention.
- Interruptions, timing and preparation.
- David Devant and kindness.
- Willingness to bend.
- Close-up magic as living in the moment.
Before the Show (16:13)
- A discussion with Danny Orleans who asks Eugene to imagine he is on his way to a performance.
- Are there any special thoughts and preparations that occupy his mind?
- Nervousness and excitement.
- Dropping effects from our repertoires even though they may produce strong reactions.
After the Show (8:34)
- The discussion with Danny continues, but changes its focus.
- Eugene's imaginary performance is finished and he is now returning home.
- How does he elevate his show's failure or success?
- The importance of evaluation.
- Making changes in our show.
The Origin and Symbolism of Magic (10:55)
- A discussion with Jack Gould, dean of the Graduate School of Business at the University of Chicago, on magic's origins in pre-history and the meaning of its symbolism for early men and women.
- The economic-political theory of magic's beginnings.
- Magic and religion.
- The transformation of magical symbolism.
- Can these ancient symbols speak to us?
The Future of Magic (11:18)
- A discussion about the future direction of magic.
- Does the future exist?
- "The adventures of the props in the performer's hands."
- Special effects and personality.
- Who is the magician?
- Is magic getting weirder?
Seeking a Magical Vision (26:50)
- Based upon a talk Eugene gave at Mystery School in 1992.
- If we finally see the futility of imitating other performers, how can we find our own personal magical vision?
- Tools for seeking our vision.
- Partial Visions.
- The place of dedication and sacrifice in our magical work.
- Trusting our vision or listening to others.
- Right associations.
- The power of magic words.
- Negative inner "songs."
- Emile Coué.
- Songs of Power.
Imagination, Solitude and Creativity (16:32)
- How can we become more creative with our magic?
- Imagination and finding creative answer to our magical problems.
- Who will answer the question?
- The art of cultivating the imagination.
- Will power, conscious effort and tension.
- Creativity and relaxation.
The Flow of Water (12:47)
Drawing on the teachings of Lao Tzu's famous Tao Te Ching, whose spirit has been a guiding force in Eugene's philosophy of magic, this tape produced in the 1970s is a short meditation on water as a symbol of flowing with life rather than fighting, pushing and struggling against it. The recording featured original music by John Leo on the acoustic guitar.
Growing (52.31 MB)
|Media Type||Digital Lesson|
People who purchased this also purchased...
A lifetime of experience....
Very pleased to have found this again. Burger's thoughtful consideration of what it means to be a magician, how to grow in the art/craft and the philosophy of the magician's way should be required of all those who choose to follow this odd path we travel. It is also a good idea to listen to it every so often to be reminded of these things.
Truly a bargain that is worth a lifetime of experience.
Well worth the price!
Had received as a gift from my mentor long ago and I listened to it everyday for a year. Great stuff. I still listen to it every now and again as a reminder. Well worth the price.